The Northeast Nebraska Area Agency on Aging provides many opportunities to volunteer in a variety of programs.
The agency will recruit, interview, screen, train and provide on-going support and information to individuals interested in volunteering for the aging network. It is a great opportunity to be involved, provide assistance, and utilize your skills and knowledge for older Nebraskans and their families.
If you are interested in being a volunteer for senior services, the following is a listing of volunteer opportunities:
The Ombudsman program strives to protect the rights, dignity, safety and quality of life of residents residing in long-term care facilities through advocacy, mediation, negotiation and education. The primary goal is to help the residents help themselves.
The Ombudsman Volunteer requirements are, but not limited to:
- Good verbal, listening and written skills.
- Experience working as a volunteer.
- Minimum age of 19 years.
- Minimum of two (2) hours per week in the Nursing Facility.
- Successful completion of 20 hours of classroom training prior to placement in a Facility with six (6) hours of additional classroom training annually.
SMP-Empowering Seniors to Prevent Healthcare Fraud
The SMP program empowers seniors to prevent health care fraud through outreach and education. The role of the SMP program is to disseminate SMP fraud prevention and identification information, assist beneficiaries in resolving fraud-related inquiries and issues and make referrals of suspected cases of fraud, waste and abuse to the appropriate investigative entities.
SHIIP-Senior Health Insurance Information Program
The Senior Health Insurance Information Program informs, educates and assists consumers on topics related to senior health insurance so they can make informed decisions.
Qualifications to become a SHIIP Volunteer:
- Good personal skills, communication and written skills
- Computer and Internet skills
- Completion of certification and recertification trainings
- Completion of annual counseling requirements
Want more information?
If you are interested in learning more about becoming an Ombudsman, SMP and or SHIIP volunteer, please call
Northeast Nebraska Area Agency on Aging
(800) 672-8368 or (402) 370-3454
There are a variety of volunteer opportunities at your local Senior Center. They consist of delivering home-delivered meals, becoming a Senior Center board member, meal preparation, education and training, and many more.
Contact a Senior Center near you to learn more about becoming a volunteer.